Biomolecular chemistry laboratory
The principal topics of our research are outlined in the following:
BIOCATALYSIS (P. FERRABOSCHI):
- Synthetic aspect: the use of enzymes and microorganisms allows the catalysis of chemo- and regioselective transformations of polyfunctional compounds and the stereoselective preparation of optically pure compounds.
- Analytical aspect: the reactions are monitored by the optimization of analytical methods (HPLC and GLC, NMR and MS, chemical physical characterization) in order to establish the product identity and purity and to explain the sterochemical outcome of the biotransformation.
The studied compounds (steroidal hormones, immunosuppressants, enzymes inhibitors,…) are endowed with biological activity
CHEMISTRY OF CARBOHYDRATES AND GLYCOLIPDS (D. COLOMBO, F. COMPOSTELLA)
- Synthesis of oligosaccharides (i.e. bacterial capsular polisaccharide fragments with immunological activity) (F. COMPOSTELLA)
- Synthesis of ceramides and glycosylceramides (F. COMPOSTELLA)
- Synthesis of glycoconjugates with antitumor activity (D. COLOMBO)
STRUCTURAL STUDIES (D. COLOMBO):
Structural and conformational characterization of small bioactive molecules through high field NMR spectroscopy (NMR).
Our labs are completely equipped for the preparation and analysis of bioactive compounds. A high field NMR- spectrometer (500 MHz Bruker FT NMR Avance DRX 500 equipped with reverse probe multinuclear broadband), a LC-MS spectrometer (Thermo Quest Finnigan LCQ TM DECA ion trap) and a GC-MS spectrometer(Thermo Quest Finnigan DSQ) are among the facilities of our research groups.
Prof. Patrizia Ferraboschi
Prof. Diego Colombo
Dott. Federica Compostella
Via Saldini, 50 – 20133 Milano – Italy